Object Type: Folder
In root of archive
The Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources originated as the Game and Fish Commission created in 1912. The Game and Fish Commission was placed in the Department of Conservation when it was created in 1936. The Department of Fish and Wildlife was created in 1944 when the Division of Game and Fish was removed from the Department of Conservation. The Department of Fish and Wildlife received its current name in 1952. The Department, as established by KRS 150.021, is responsible for the protection and improvement of fish and wildlife resources throughout Kentucky. It is under the general supervision of the Fish and Wildlife Resources Commission. The Department has seven divisions: Law Enforcement Division, Administrative Services Division, Engineering Division, Fisheries Division, Information and Education Division, Wildlife Division and Public Affairs and Policy Division.
The Kentucky Artisan Center was completed in 2003 with funding provided by the 1998 and 2000 Kentucky legislatures. The Center provides visibility for local artisans and the products they create while boosting Kentucky culture. Guidance for the development of the Center and its activity continues to be provided by the Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea Advisory Board.
The Kentucky Arts Council was established in 1966 to develop and promote a state policy of support for the arts in Kentucky pursuant to KRS 153.210 to 153.235. The council is a department within the Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet.
Established in 1966, the Kentucky Heritage Council/State Historic Preservation Office assists individuals, communities and local governments with making historic preservation an important component of comprehensive community planning and economic development. As set forth by federal and state legislation, the Kentucky Heritage Council is charged with identifying, preserving and protecting the historic resources of Kentucky. The Council, an agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, operates under KRS 171.3801 through 171.395. It is made up of not more than sixteen members, appointed by the Governor to four-year terms.
The Kentucky Historical Society was created in 1880. The Society was reorganized in 1991 and the Collections and Preservation Division and the Resource Development Division were abolished. In 1994, the Oral History and Educational Research Division replaced the Society Services Division. Pursuant to KRS 171.311-171.395 and, as set forth in its charter, the goal of the Kentucky Historical Society is to collect, maintain, and preserve authentic records, information, facts and relics connected with the history of the Commonwealth and to promote a wider appreciation of American heritage. The Society is governed by an Executive Committee, whose members are elected by its general membership. The Society has four divisions headed by a director appointed by the Executive Committee. These divisions are Research and Publications, Administration, Museum, and Oral History and Educational Research. KHS operates the Old State Capitol, the Kentucky Military History Museum and its headquarters, the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History.
The Kentucky Horse Park Board, created in 1979, was renamed the Kentucky Horse Park Commission in 1986. In 1984 the Commission was removed from the Commerce Cabinet and attached to the Tourism Cabinet for administrative purposes. The Commission, as provided in KRS 148.260, is composed of thirteen members, eleven of whom are appointed by the Governor. The Secretaries of the Cabinet for Economic Development and the Tourism Cabinet serve as ex-officio members, with full voting rights. Duties of the Commission include formulating policies and procedures and promulgating rules and regulations governing the 1,032 acre Kentucky Horse Park.
The Kentucky State Fair was established in 1902 for exhibition of agricultural, mechanical, horticultural, dairy, forestry, poultry, and livestock. The Fair was placed under management and control of the board of directors of the Kentucky Livestock Breeders Association. In 1906 it was placed under control of the State Board of Agriculture, Forestry, and Immigration. The State Fair Board was established as a corporate body in 1938. The Board, pursuant to KRS 247.140, is responsible for the control and custody of the funds, buildings, grounds, and equipment of the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center and the Commonwealth Convention Center. The Board is divided into divisions, which are authorized by KRS 247.130 and Executive Order 96-930.
This series documents unpublished compilations of information related to agency activities or events. The studies or reports contain important facts and statistics about the organization, policies and operations of an agency. Information from the series can aid in long range planning by the agency. Series may contain: Date of report; administrative unit; authors; title; purpose of study; summary; recommendations; appendices; definitions; table of contents; text; associated publications; bibliography.
Kentucky. Tourism, Arts, and Heritage Cabinet